Applications are now being accepted to establish an eligibility list for Police Officer positions in the City of Fairfax Police Department. After a comprehensive hiring process, applicants selected for hire must satisfactorily complete a 21 week course at the N. VA Criminal Justice Academy. NOTE: Applicants currently certified by the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services (D.C.J.S.) are not required to attend the Police Academy.|
The eight step hiring process includes: Application Completion, Written Test (waived for applicants certified by D.C.J.S.), Initial Interview, Background Investigation, Conditional Job Offer, Polygraph Testing, Structured Interview, Psychological and Job-Related Physical Examination.
If you are D.C.J.S. Certified, please provide proof of certification with application. The date and location of the written test will be provided to applicants via e-mail prior to the test date. If an e-mail address is not provided, a letter containing the location of the test will be mailed.
Please provide full and accurate e-mail and home address when applying.
As an equal opportunity employer and in order to respond to the needs of a diverse community, minorities and women are encouraged to submit applications. Spanish speaking individuals are encouraged to apply.
Performs general duty police work in the protection of life and property through the enforcement of laws and ordinances of the City and Commonwealth of Virginia. Patrols a designated area of the City to preserve law and order and to prevent and discover the commission of crime, to direct traffic, and to enforce motor vehicle laws. As directed, officer answers calls and complaints involving suspicious and criminal activities, domestic disputes, and other related citizen requests for service. Maintains records|
and prepares reports. Performs all other duties as assigned.
1) 20 years and 6 months of age at date of application, no upper age limit|
2) High school graduate or valid G.E.D. certificate
3) Possession of a valid operator's license
4) Eyesight must meet minimum of 20/20 binocular vision. Corrective glasses may be worn. Uncorrected vision with glasses must be no worse than 20/100 in either eye. Corrective soft contact lenses may be worn. Uncorrected vision with soft contacts must be no worse than 20/200. Must demonstrate successful long term wear of lenses of 6 months minimum for pre-employment examination
5) U.S. Citizenship required at time of application
6) No felony convictions or domestic assault convictions
7) Be of good character and reputation
8) Have a favorable credit record
9) Have the ability to speak clearly, hear, analyze and react swiftly to high stress situations dealing with citizens
10) Successful completion of the applicant screening process
Those applicants that have successfully completed the hiring process and are offered employment will be required to sign and employment agreement that includes a non-tobacco use clause. Additionally, all sworn police department employees must comply with departmental appearance standards to include grooming, body piercing and tattoo policies. Tattoos: Tattoos or brands anywhere on the body that are obscene, offensive, related to gangs, or that advocate sexual, racial, ethnic, or religious discrimination are prohibited. Tattoos or brands visible anywhere on the head, neck or face are prohibited. If the particular nature of the tattoo or brand comes into question, the employee shall provide in writing, an explanation along with a photo of the meaning of the tattoo or brand, for review by a division commander in order to determine if the tattoo or brand meets the guidelines of this policy. If it is determined to be in violation of policy, the tattoo or brand must be fully covered. For further information, contact a background detective at 703-385-7955.
Only those applicants who have not applied within the past twelve months are invited to participate in the hiring process. Although individuals with minimum qualifications may apply, those with the highest levels of job related experience, education, and qualifications will receive favorable consideration.
|Hours:||Permanent 12-hour shift, including weekends and holidays.|
|Salary:||$55,911 minimum starting pay|
|Closing Date:||Continuous Recruitment|
Back to Available Jobs
If you'd like to apply for a job opening, you may do one of the following:|
All City vacancies may be viewed on Cable TV Cityscreen-12